When we talk about conserving the environment and energy these days it seems like one of the main buzzwords is sustainability. But what is sustainability? Simply put, sustainability is the idea of creating new products that have renewability.
Renewable energy includes that which is produced from wind, sun, wood, and water. So a paper bag comes from sustainable and renewable energy of trees, while a plastic bag comes from finite and dirty fossil fuels such as coal or oil.
Conserving the Environment
Sustainability is also about conserving and using our natural resources and environment wisely so that our descendants also have plenty of resources to sustain them indefinitely. If our main objective as humans is survival of the species, conservation of our resources has to be a key platform of our strategy for longevity.
The other underlying theme of sustainability is that currently we are living an unsustainable lifestyle in terms of our large consumerism and carbon footprint. Sustainability acknowledges the progression of global warming, the disappearing ozone layer, and the destruction of many delicate and important ecosystems such as the Amazonian rain forest.
How To Practice Sustainable Living
How can one person make a difference in terms of preserving the environment and promoting sustainability. There are many things we can do in our everyday lives to practice sustainable living such as:
- Consuming less is a great way to leave a smaller footprint.
Consider buying less clothing, less food, less packaged products as a way of impacting less on the environment. You might also consider buying used clothing which is another form of recycling.
- Choosing to walk or ride a bike, rather than driving a car, is another great way to practice sustainable living.
- Growing a garden of vegetables is another simple way to lessen your impact on the environment. Grow your vegetables without pesticides and you have the added benefit of organic food.
- Recycling is another way to leave less behind.
- Composting your organic matter is a great way to practice sustainable living.
- Consider population control as a contributing factor in sustainability. By choosing to have two or fewer children, you and your mate are practicing sustainability.
The Bottom Line
- What is A Voip Telephone Business System?
- Rehab, what is residential inpatient treatment like? – Columbia Addictions
Nothing lasts forever, right? Even though the earth will one day come to an end, we can practice sustainable living so that our corner of the galaxy is inhabitable and healthy for the remaining descendants of planet earth. Perhaps sustainability could be summed up as: work toward a world without waste.